What are your family’s summer traditions? Our family and extended family have a long-standing tradition of spending the last week of July in the beautiful, sunny beach town of Seaside, Florida. Seaside is located along historic Highway 30A in the Florida Panhandle. From Dallas, you can easily fly into Ft Walton Beach or Pensacola, or make a road trip of it with the family (we normally take a pit stop in New Orleans along the way!). The most important thing to remember is that once you get to Seaside, you can park your car for the week! The three main forms of transportation are walking, biking, and golf cart riding. It’s so nice to be out of the car and really absorb this quaint little beach town.
“Where bare feet and sandy floors rule,” is posted all over town. White picket fences line the streets filled with everything from stately colonial homes to tiny beach cottages. The town center, “Seaside Square” is a large green field lined with palm trees. Surrounding the square are unique little shops and art galleries that will impress even the most discerning Dallas shopper. The town is only 1.5 square miles and has some of the best food I’ve ever had, between their restaurants and line of silver gleaming Airstream food trucks. Trails for running and bike riding wind around the town, between palm trees and along the water, over bridges and alongside perfectly planned parks and water features.
All of the above and I still haven’t reached the best part…the perfect white sandy beaches and crystal clear water. We’ve talked to people on the beaches while visiting that have traveled the world and remark at the unmatched beauty of the beaches of Seaside.
So…before you plan your visit, here’s a list of some of our favorite hot spots:
- Bud and Alley’s http://www.budandalleys.com – Hit the upstairs bar for sunset and stunning views of the ocean, stay for the delicious food.
- The Great Southern http://www.thegreatsoutherncafe.com – Beautiful patio, absolutely amazing food. Come hungry!
- Perscipacity Beachside Bazzar http://www.perspicasityseaside.com – Gorgeous outdoor shopping area featuring ocean inspired women’s clothing and accessories.
- Duckie’s https://www.shopduckies.com – A shop of full of fun that brings out the kid in all of us. Toy store, gifts.
- Seaside Food Trucks http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/eat-drink/gourmet-food-trucks-vintage-airstreams-seaside-florida.html – Grab a Frost Bites Snocone and some BBQ or a delish grilled cheese and hit the beach!
Post author Katy Pritchard, her husband Jay, and their kids Link and Reese live in Lakewood.