Leaves are falling, the State Fair of Texas is in full swing and you’ve ordered Halloween costumes…surely all of this means that fall weather is right around the corner (we hope!). Before the cold weather moves in, it’s important to get your home ready for fall and winter. We’ve put together a fall home maintenance checklist to help you get started.
FALL HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST:
- Hire a chimney sweep to clean and inspect chimney – Make any necessary repairs and understand how to properly light and vent your fireplace.
- Service HVAC – Texas homes typically run on electric air and gas heat. It’s important to have the heater checked and serviced prior to turning on the heat this winter.
- Test and change batteries in smoke detectors
- Replace bulbs in outdoor light fixtures – it will soon be dark when you get home from school and/or work. Consider setting one or two lights on timers or motion sensors.
- Test carbon monoxide detectors
- Consider installing a gas detector.
- Clean Gutters
- Adjust your sprinkler system settings to take the cooler weather into consideration.
- Winterize any mosquito misting systems you may have
- Trim trees, remove any dead limbs prior to first snowfall
- Prepare an emergency “power outage” kit! We like to include a hand coffee grinder, french press, candles and matches, book lights and flash lights!